Cuts into 8-10 slices
Prep 20 mins
- Zest and juice 1 orange
- 50g sultanas
- 150ml sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
- 2 eggs
- 140g soft light brown sugar
- 85g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp each ground cinnamon and ground mixed spice
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 140g carrots, coarsely grated
- 50g walnuts, chopped, plus a few halves to decorate
For the icing
- 200g soft cheese
- 50g butter, softened
- 85g icing sugar, sifted
- Pinch ground cinnamon
1. If you have time to do it the night before, put the orange zest and juice in a bowl with the sultanas. If you don’t have time, on the day simply stir the zest, juice and sultanas together and microwave on Medium for 1-2 mins.
2. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and grease and line the base and sides of a 2lb loaf tin. Whisk together the oil and eggs. Mix together the sugar, flours, mixed spice, cinnamon and bicarb in your largest mixing bowl. Add the sultanas with any juice and zest left in the bowl, grated carrot, walnuts and whisked egg mixture into the dry ingredients, then thoroughly mix with a wooden spoon.
3. Tip into the loaf tin and bake on the middle shelf for 1 hr, or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool the cake in the tin.
4. Once cool, remove from the tin and make the icing. With an electric whisk, beat together the soft cheese, butter, icing sugar and cinnamon until smooth. Spread over the top of the cake and decorate with walnut halves.
592 kcalories, protein 7g, carbohydrate 51g, fat 41 g, saturated fat 14g, fibre 2g, sugar 36g, salt 0.83 g
Recipe reproduced with permission from www.bbcgoodfood.com