50g cocoa powder
100g dark muscovado sugar
250ml water boiling
125g unsalted butter
150g golden caster sugar
225g plain white flour
1tsp baking powder
2tsp vanilla extract
1tsp coffee extract 2 eggs
30g dark muscovado sugar
175g unsalted butter
300g dark chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan/ Mark 4 Grease and line a round 7inch tin with baking paper.
2. In a saucepan add the boiling water, cocoa powder, dark muscovado sugar, butter and golden caster sugar and mix well.
3. Bring to the boil and remove from the heat.
4. In a large bowl, sift the flour and baking powder. Add the cocoa mixture into the flour and stir well. Add the vanilla extract and coffee extract.
5. Break the eggs and mix into the mixture. Mix until well combined.
6. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes.
7. Leave to cool on a cooling rack in its tin.
8. For the ganache, in a saucepan, bring the water and sugar to the boil until melted.
9. Add the chocolate and keep stirring until melted. Slowly add in the softened butter stirring until the butter has melted and is evenly mixed and you get a lovely glossy ganache.
10. Leave to cool. Once the cake is cool, remove from the tin and spread with the ganache using a pallette knife.
This recipe is published with thanks to Billingtons www.billingtons.co.uk