14floz (400 ml) soya milk
5floz (150ml) vegetable oil
91/2 oz (270g) caster sugar
3teaspoon vanilla essence
2tbsp lemon zest
2rounded dessertspoons ground flax seed
81/2 oz (240g) rice flour
1oz (30g) soya flour
1oz (30g) cornflour
1teaspoon xanthan gum
1teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1teaspoon baking powder
1. Pre-heat the oven to 175C/350F/Gas4.
2. Line your cupcake tins with 12 large cupcake cases.
3. Place the soya milk, vinegar, oil, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla and flax seed (if using) in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly and set aside.
4. In a separate bowl measure the flours, xanthan, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder. Give them a good stir to combine.
5. Sift the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix well to combine (whisk if necessary). Do not overmix, stop as soon as the mixture looks evenly combined.
6. Divide the mixture between the cases and bake for 30 minutes or until a cocktail stick comes out clean.
7. Usually the cupcakes need turning halfway through baking time, but if your oven bakes super-evenly, there is no need. if you turn them, do it as quickly as possible so that the oven door is not open for too long.
With thanks to the Vegan Society for allowing us to publish this recipe www.vegansociety.com