Cuts into 16-20 squares
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 225g softened butter, plus extra for the tin
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- 4 large eggs
- Grated zest and juice 1 orange
- 225g gooseberries, topped and tailed
- 140g granulated sugar
1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Butter and line a 20 x 30cm tray bake tin with baking parchment.
2. Put the butter, caster sugar, flour, eggs and orange zest in a bowl. Beat thoroughly with an electric whisk until creamy and smooth. Stir in the gooseberries, then spoon into the tin and level the surface. Bake for 35 mins until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
3. Stir the orange juice and granulated sugar together, spoon over the surface of the warm cake and leave to cool and set. Cut into squares.
213 kcalories, protein 2.0g, carbohydrate 27.0g, fat 11.0 g, saturated fat 6.0g, fibre 1.0g, sugar 20.0g, salt 0.3 g
Recipe reproduced with permission from www.bbcgoodfood.com