½ cup each sultanas, raisin, currant, chopped dried dates (or 2 cups of dried fruit mix)
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
3 cups of orange juice (squeeze your own if you can be bothered)
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp mixed spice
½ cup ground almonds
2 cups self-raising flour
1. The day before cooking, place dried fruit, lemon zest and orange juice in a saucepan and bring just to the boil. Remove to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave to soak overnight.
2. The next day, preheat oven to 150C. Line a 20cm cake tin with cooking paper.
3. Stir vanilla, baking soda, mixed spice, ground almonds and flour into the dried fruit mixture.
4. Spread cake mixture into prepared cake tin. Bake for 2 hours or until a skewer comes out clean.
5. Cool in tin for 30 minutes before removing cake to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe kindly provided by www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org