500g whole raw beetroot (3 -4 medium beets)
100g unsalted butter
200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
1tsp vanilla extract
250g golden caster sugar
100g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
1. Wearing rubber gloves to protect your hands from staining, peel and chop beetroot and add to a bowl.
2. Add a splash of water, cover with cling film and microwave until tender (roughly 12 mins on high)
3. Pre heat oven to 180C and grease and line tin.
4. Roughly chop the chocolate and cut the butter into small cubes.
5. Drain the beetroot and place in a blender with the butter, chocolate and vanilla. Blend till smooth.
6. Beat the sugar and eggs in a large bowl till pale and foamy.
7. Spoon the beetroot mix into the eggs and fold in gently avoiding losing air from the mixture.
8. Now sift in the flour and cocoa powder till a smooth batter is formed.
9. Spoon into the tin and bake for 25 minutes.
10. Cool and cut into squares.
Recipe reproduced with permission from www.bbcgoodfood.com