3 large eggs
100g golden caster sugar, plus a little extra for sprinkling
few drops of almond extract
25g butter, melted
100g self-raising flour
25g ground almonds
2 small peaches
2 tsp peach conserve or apricot jam
1 tbsp flaked almonds
half-fat crème fraîche, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7.
2. In a large bowl, use a hand whisk to mix the eggs, sugar and almond extract together for a minute until foamy.
3. Pour in the melted butter and continue to beat until combined.
4. Gently fold in the flour, ground almonds and a pinch of salt.
5. Halve, stone and slice the peaches.
6. Divide muffin mixture between 6 holes of a non-stick muffin tin. Top each with a blob of conserve or jam and arrange a few slices of peach on top.
7. Scatter over the almonds and a little extra sugar, then bake for 20-25 mins until puffed up and golden.
8. Serve warm with a spoonful of half-fat crème fraîche, or leave to cool.
9. Best eaten the day they’re made or frozen whilst still slightly warm for up to 1 month.
Recipe reproduced with permission from www.bbcgoodfood.com