- 300g raw beetroot
- 300ml water
- 5 tbsps sunflower oil
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g rice flour or gluten free plain flour blend
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 tsp gluten free cocoa powder
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g cream cheese
- 200g icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
1. Cut the beetroot into quarters and put into a saucepan with the water. Simmer gently for about an hour until cooked.
2. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Puree the cold beetroot.
3. Beat the oil and vanilla into the puree.
4. In another bowl beat the egg and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the beetroot mixture.
5. Mix together the flour, cocoa and baking powder and beat this in. Stir in the vinegar.
6. Grease and line two 18cm/7” round cake tins or heart shaped forms. Divide the mixture between the two and spread to the edges of the tin.
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20/25 minutes. Cool the sponge on a wire rack.
8. Soften the butter then beat this together with the cream cheese. Beat in the icing sugar and vanilla.
9. Spread a large spoonful on one of the cold sponges. Place the second sponge on top. Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
Temperature & cooking time:
190°C/Fan170°C/375°F/Gas 5 for 20/25 minutes
Without Gluten , Without Nuts, Without Soya, Without Wheat.
Please note: Dietary status is a guideline only. If you have a food allergy, please check the suitability of your ingredients.
Recipe kindly provided by Doves Farm www.dovesfarm.co.uk