130g self raising flour
45g ground almonds
175g soft butter
175g castor sugar
3 large eggs
1 tbsp coffee essence/instant coffee made up with a bit of hot water
1 tbsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp milk
75g finely chopped walnuts
80g soft butter
160g icing sugar
250g tinned/homemade caramel
12 walnut halves
1. Pop the oven on to preheat to 170C/Gas 3. Make sure the rack is in the centre of the oven and then line a cupcake tray with cases.
2. Beat the flour, ground almonds, 175g soft butter, castor sugar, eggs, coffee essence, vanilla extract and the milk until light and fluffy – this takes 4 mins in a stand mixer or about 6 with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the chopped walnuts and beat in until well combined.
4. Then divide equally between the cupcake cases and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden, slightly risen and a toothpick comes out of the centre cupcake clean.
5. Remove from the tray and cool on a wire rack.
6. Make the icing by beating the 80g soft butter with the icing sugar until very light and airy looking, like mousse flecked with air. This takes about 7 minutes in a stand mixer, longer with a handheld mixer or wooden spoon.
7. Then add the caramel. Mix well and then pipe or spread onto your cooled cupcakes and top with a walnut.
With thanks to Holly Bell @HollyBellMummy for allowing us to publish this recipe www.recipesfromanormalmum.com