250g pack unsalted butter
300g golden caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs
200g self-raising flour
100g milk chocolate drops
For the topping
85g caster sugar
200g light condensed milk
50g milk chocolate drops, plus extra, to scatter
1. Butter and line a traybake or small roasting tin, about 20 x 30cm. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. Gently melt the butter in a large saucepan, cool for 5 mins, add sugar, vanilla and eggs, then beat until smooth with a wooden spoon.
3. Stir in the flour, cocoa and ¼ tsp salt. Stir in the milk chocolate drops and bake for 35 mins until risen all over and a skewer comes out with a few damp crumbs.
4. For the top, gently heat 85g butter and 85g caster sugar together until both are melted.
5. Stir in 200g light condensed milk and bring to a boil.
6. Cool for 5 mins, then stir in 50g milk chocolate drops to melt.
7. Spread over the cold cake, scatter with more chocolate drops and cut into squares.
Recipe reproduced with permission from www.bbcgoodfood.com