200g butter, softened
200g golden caster sugar
175g ground almonds (to make it nut free see below)
250g mashed potatoes
zest 3 lemons
2 tsp gluten-free baking powder (Supercook does one)
For the drizzle
4 tbsp granulated sugar
juice 1 lemon
1. Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Butter and line a deep, 20cm round cake tin.
2. Beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy, then gradually add the egg, beating after each addition.
3. Fold in the almonds, cold mashed potato, lemon zest and baking powder.
4. Tip into the tin, level the top, then bake for 40-45 mins or until golden and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
5. Turn out onto a wire rack after 10 mins cooling.
6. Mix the granulated sugar and the lemon juice together, then spoon over the top of the cake, letting it drip down the sides.
7. Let the cake cool completely before slicing.
Recipe reproduced with permission from www.bbcgoodfood.com