200g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1½ tsp mixed spice
85g light muscovado sugar
100g mixed dried fruits
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp milk
demerara sugar, or roughly crushed sugar cubes, for sprinkling
1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
2. Tip the flour, baking powder and 1 tsp spice into a bowl. Add the butter, cut into small pieces. Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture forms fine crumbs (or do this in the food processor).
3. Stir in the muscovado sugar and fruit, then add the egg and milk.
4. Mix to a fairly firm dough. Spoon 10 rough blobs of the mixture onto the baking sheet, leaving room for a little spreading.
5. Mix together the sugar and remaining mixed spice and sprinkle over the cakes.
6. Bake for 20-25 mins until golden brown.
Recipe reproduced with permission from www.bbcgoodfood.com