450g cooking apples peeled and sliced
115g vegan margarine
115g raw cane sugar
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp boiling water
225g wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground all spice
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Cook the apples in the bare minimum of water. When they are soft, mash to a puree and drain very well.
3. Cream together the margarine and sugar, then add the apple puree to make a thick mixture.
4. Stir in the dried fruit.
5. Add the bicarbonate of soda to the water, stir until dissolved and add this to the mix.
6. Sift together the flour and spices and blend with apple mixture.
7. Pour into a well greased cake tin, smooth the top and bake at in the oven for 45 minutes-1 hour.
8. Take out of the tin and leave to cool.
With thanks to the Vegan Society, www.vegansociety.com