7oz (200g) self raising flour
3level tsp baking powder
4oz (115g) sugar
41/2 fl oz (125 ml) vegetable oil
111/2 fl oz (325 ml) cold water
2tsp vanilla essence
3oz (85g) margarine
6oz (170g) icing sugar
1tsp vanilla essence
1. Preheat oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
2. Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir. Divide the mixture between two well greased round tins.
3. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until a cocktail stick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool.
4. Make the filling by mashing all the filling ingredients together.
5. Use some of this to sandwich the cakes together and the rest to decorate the top.
6. Alternatively sandwich together with jam and dust the top with icing.
With thanks to the Vegan Society for allowing us to publish this recipe www.vegansociety.com